History of the company
The first Soviet state intermediary agency for military-technical cooperation with foreign countries was created on 8th May 1953 after the USSR Council of Ministers had decided on forming the General Engineering Department within the then Ministry of Domestic and Foreign Trade.
Other special foreign trade bodies were created later on to provide for further expansion of military-technical cooperation activities. In the late 1990s there were two federal state unitary enterprises in Russia acting as state arms exporters -Rosvoorouzhenie State Corporation and Promexport.
In November 2000 the two enterprises were merged into a single one - Rosoboronexport Federal State Unitary Enterprise, the sole state intermediary for export/import of defence products, by the Presidential Decree No. 1834 dated 4th November 2000 aimed at restructuring the system of military and technical cooperation of the Russian Federation with foreign states, and improving its performance. Since 1 July 2011 Rosoboronexport has been operating as an open joint stock company.